Wednesday 18 March 2009

Hello.. (orginal title? yeah I thought so too)

Welcome to what is certainly the first and hopefully not the last blog post that I've written in a long time. I originally started this blog as an attempt to intellectualize thoughts that I had on various philosophical subjects. While this remains the case (broadly speaking), I am no longer interested in writing about philosophy. Or indeed in writing anything profound. This blog will now be a medium through which I simply muse. No pontificating (hopefully) and no taking myself too seriously (with any luck).

Let's start with motivation. Why do I write? I've no doubt that it is connected to the fact that I'm in education. I don't have any particular "talents" as far as subjects are concerned, so part of the reason I write is so I can have my own niche. Rather than

"if you can't beat 'em join 'em"

I prefer

"If you can't beat 'em, Find something they don't do and get good at it"!

The obvious advantages that having an interest such as writing presents in terms of college and university prospects make it a compelling hobby. Writing enables me not only to fluster and guess with deceptive elegance (very useful to someone who hates revision/work), but allows me to present myself to colleges as some who "works in his spare time". Also, I suppose the positive effects of writing as a hobby on my English grades go without saying.

Finally, writing allows me to take pent-up ideas and thoughts and throw them onto the paper. Even if they are unpublishable, this is usually the case, the simple act of putting keyboard to laptop (to coin a lame phrase) helps me to step back and resolve my thoughts.

So to the great multitude of my readers: (hit count shows current total: 0 ) welcome! May your comments flow galore and may you bask in the glow of my deep wisdom.

Lance.

P.s I haven't written in a good 2/3 months so expect: rustiness; repetition; grammatical error; etc. Never fear though, these things will improve as I get back into the swing of things!

No comments: